Effective January 1st, 2020, UW Recycling accepts plastic film through a separated self-service recycling program. It can no longer be included in mixed recycling containers in Seattle. Please note custodians are not responsible for transporting these materials to the collection containers.
What is acceptable
- Air pillows (deflated)
- Bubble wrap
- Grocery bags
- Shrink wrap
- Ziploc bags (clean, dry)
- #4 LDPE plastic film
How to tell if you can recycle your plastic film
- The film can be easily be stretched with a thumb
- The film is clean and dry
What is not acceptable
- Anti-static plastic
- Bubble mailers
- Cereal bags
- Chip bags
- Mylar plastic
- Photographic film
- Projector Transparencies
- #7 plastic film
All film must be clean, dry and collected separately from other recycling.
- Use your own clear bags to gather the recyclable film
- Use a free self-service box to collect plastic film; or
- If you work in a location that generates a large amount of film, such as a shipping center, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Or if the plastic film container locations above are not accessible to your department:
- Place the bags next to the recycling containers at building’s loading dock or service area. Do not block doors or walkways.
- After bags have been placed, email email@example.com. Materials will be collected during the next regularly scheduled stop at your building.