The city of Seattle prohibits recyclable or compostable material in the garbage.
What is acceptable
- Landfill waste from restrooms
- Lab glass
- Latex or plastic gloves
- Unapproved compostable serviceware
- Treated biomedical waste
- Non-recyclable materials; review procedures for particular items
- Non-hazardous materials that are contaminated
- Broken items (not from a lab) that are sharp or pointed; place pieces in a small box, label the box, seal it securely and place it next to your garbage container.
What is not acceptable
- Recyclable items; review procedures for particular items
- Chemicals and hazardous waste
- Fluorescent lamps
- Food Waste and compostable serviceware
- Biomedical waste
- Mixed containers
- Construction and demolition waste
- All items purchased with University funds, working or non-working
Note: cleanup and handling of improperly discarded materials will be the responsibility of the department.