The University of Washington’s Dial-A-Ride program is committed to providing on-time, convenient and flexible rides for UW students, staff, faculty, and academic visitors with limited mobility.
By using the Dial-A-Ride service, passengers agree to adhere to the following:
- REFERRALS: Dial-A-Ride is for employees, faculty and students of the UW only. New riders are welcome to use Dial-A-Ride temporarily for four weeks based on self-referral. A referral must be obtained from the Disability Services office before the grace period has expired to prevent discontinuation of service. Disability Services can be reached at the following numbers in order to schedule an appointment for obtaining a referral:
- Disability Services Office (Staff/Faculty): 206-543-6450
- Disability Resources (Students): 206-543-8924
- SERVICE AREA AND TIMES: Dial-A-Ride hours of operation are 7:50 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Rides should be scheduled with enough advance time to arrive to appointments on time. Dial-A-Ride serves only official Dial-A-Ride stops located within the UW Seattle campus and University District. Dial-A-Ride does not provide rides to or from private homes or businesses.
- RESERVATIONS: 24 hour advance is the preferred time to request trips. (Rides may be requested no more than 30 days in advance.) Times may be negotiated based on availability. Scheduling for the following business day is completed daily by 3 p.m. Rides requested after 3 p.m. will not be processed until the following business day.
- SAME DAY RIDE REQUESTS: Same day ride requests are on a first come first serve basis. Same day rides are not guaranteed and must be called into the office with a minimum of two-hour notice by phone to confirm availability. Rides are not guaranteed until confirmed via phone or email by the program coordinator.
- SCHEDULING OF RIDES: All passengers who are registered with the service and have a NetID are asked to schedule rides online using the Dial-A-Ride Request form. Riders will be sent a confirmation for the following day’s trips.
- DEPARTURES: Your confirmed pick up time represents the driver’s departure time. Passengers should be at the departure point five minutes prior to scheduled departure to allow sufficient boarding time. Drivers are not expected to wait past the departure time. Passengers are asked to call the Dial-A-Ride office if their transport is not present at their confirmed departure time.
- NON-EMERGENT TRANSPORTATION: For the safety and well-being of our customers and drivers, Dial-A-Ride does not transport passengers in need of emergency care, who are visibly ill or being discharged from a medical facility.
- ATTENDANTS AND SERVICE ANIMALS: Riders may have one personal care attendant. Riders must note this when scheduling a ride to avoid a trip denial. Classmates, personal friends or family members cannot be transported. Service animals are allowed. Riders are responsible for their service animal’s behavior during transport.
- FLAGGED RIDE REQUESTS: Dial-A-Ride is a screened service. Drivers will not take on riders without verification. Anyone flagging down drivers will be asked to contact the Shuttles office to schedule a ride.
- VENDOR SERVICE: Dial-A-Ride utilizes a third party vendor to assist with extra rides and special requests. Passengers will not be notified when they are scheduled for rides with the vendor. All program rules and expectations apply whether the ride is provided by Dial-A-Ride staff or the Dial-A-Ride vendor.
- PASSENGER ASSISTANCE: Dial-A-Ride is a Curb to Curb service. Drivers will assist passengers in or out of vehicles at the pick-up or drop-off point. Drivers do not escort passengers to the door, open doors, or carry books or backpacks. Passengers are responsible for loading personal possessions such as backpacks, laptop computers, boxes, etc.
- CHANGES TO RIDES: Passengers must notify the Dial-A-Ride office by phone at least two hours in advance to modify the pick-up or drop-off location of a ride. Dial-A-Ride drivers cannot call the office and relay ride location changes on behalf of passengers. Changes made less than two hours in advance may not be accommodated.
- CANCELLATIONS: Passengers should notify the Dial-A-Ride office at least one hour in advance to cancel a ride. Dial-A-Ride drivers will not call the office and relay ride cancellations on behalf of passengers. A ride not canceled at least one hour in advance will be recorded as a “no-show”.
- NO-SHOW POLICY: Passengers will be notified by email for each no-show they accrue. If you are a “no show” for a ride, the driver will not pick you up for any subsequent rides scheduled for that day until you have called the Dial-A-Ride office and confirmed that you will need your other rides. In the event that a pattern of regular no-shows appears, Dial-A-Ride staff may refer passengers to a Disability Services counselor with the goal of finding a solution and minimizing no-shows.
- SUBSCRIPTION RIDE FORFEIT: (Effective upon acknowledgment of this agreement): If three rides in a quarter are designated as no-shows, all of your pre-scheduled rides (subscriptions) will be removed from the schedule. Rides will then need to be scheduled a day in advance.
- SEAT BELT POLICY: Passengers must wear a seat belt at all times while the vehicle is in motion. Drivers have the right not to transport a passenger should s/he refuse to wear a seat belt. Exception is given only to a passenger who possesses written verification from a licensed physician that s/he is unable to wear a safety belt for physical or medical reasons.
- RIDER CONDUCT:
- Respect other passengers’ privacy
- Do not cause safety problems
- Use headphones
- No drugs or alcoholic beverages
- Do not harass driver or other riders
- Respect Dial-A-Ride property
Anyone in violation of the above items may be asked to leave the DAR vehicle, and risk suspension of their privileges to use Dial-A-Ride services. We appreciate your help in abiding by these rules. We thank you for doing your part to “ride right”.