Student U-PASS


The U-PASS is a bus pass plus more. Loaded right onto the Husky Card, the U-PASS provides students with a variety of low-cost transportation options—from unlimited rides on buses, commuter train service and light rail, to vanpooling and discounted impromptu carpooling.

With a U-PASS, it's easy to save money and tread softly on the environment by choosing alternatives to driving alone. Or consider "mixing up your commute"—using an alternative when possible, driving when necessary.

Student U-PASS is a universal program for eligible students on the Seattle campus. All students who pay the Service & Activities Fee (SAF) are automatically U-PASS members and are required to pay the U-PASS fee. Students not eligible for a universal U-PASS can purchase U-PASS membership.

Universal student U-PASS members

The following students are automatically U-PASS members through universal student U-PASS:

  • Students registered in state-funded courses (except students who are part of the state tuition exemption program); and
  • Students registered for classes and enrolled in a fee based degree major through Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) who pay the Services and Activities Fee (SAF).

Universal student U-PASS benefits

The $84.00 per quarter U-PASS fee that appears on student tuition statements allows students to access the benefits of U-PASS membership, including:

When can I use it on transit?

New members

If you registered Your U-PASS will be active
Nine or more days before quarter start one week prior to quarter start
less than nine days before quarter start 24 to 48 hours after you register

Continuing members

To maintain your U-PASS activation between quarters, you must be registered for classes nine days prior to the next quarter start. If you do not do this, your U-PASS will be deactivated and will be reactivated for transit 24 to 48 hours after you register.

Not registered for summer quarter? Unfortunately, you are not eligible to purchase a student U-PASS for the summer, but may be eligible to purchase a TEMP Pass if you meet the criteria for a UW temporary, hourly employee.


To finalize the activation of your U-PASS for use on transit, you must tap your card on an ORCA card reader within 60 days of U-PASS issuance. Tapping your card on the ORCA reader updates your chip and finalizes activation of your U-PASS for transit. Students who do not finalize activation within 60 days must submit a Reactivation Request. Your U-PASS will be available for transit 24 to 48 hours after you submit your reactivation request. Important U-PASS dates.

Report a problem

Do you have questions or are you having issues with your U-PASS? Report a problem.

Terms of Use

U-PASS members are required to acknowledge that they have read and accepted the U-PASS terms of use.

All U-PASS members are bound by the U-PASS policy as stated in Administrative Policy Statement 53.4. Misuse of the U-PASS is subject to sanctions and may subject the parties to possible action under the General Conduct Code (Chapter 478–124 WAC) or the Student Conduct Code (Chapter 478–120 WAC).

U-PASS fees for students who withdraw from classes

U-PASS membership will be deactivated when a student withdraws from classes. Some students may be eligible for a credit of all or part of the U-PASS fee.

If you withdraw Percent of your U-PASS fee that will be credited to you
1st-7th calendar day of quarter 100 percent
8th-30th calendar day of quarter 50 percent
31st calendar day of quarter and later no credit will be given

U-PASS Replacement

You must inform the Husky Card Office at once if you believe your Husky Card has been lost or stolen. The best way to report a lost or stolen Husky Card is through the Husky Card Online Office, where you can suspend activity on your Husky Card Account until the Husky Card is found or replaced. You may also contact the Husky Card Account & ID Center M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. at 206-543-7222 or by email at

It is your responsibility to take care of your Husky Card. If your card is lost or damaged and you require a replacement, you will be charged a replacement fee. Your U-PASS powered by ORCA will be transferred electronically when your new Husky Card is printed and will be available for use 24 to 48 hours after card replacement.

You must use your Husky Card on an ORCA card reader within 60 days of receiving your replacement Husky Card to finalize your U-PASS activation. There is no replacement fee for U-PASS powered by ORCA , however, you may pay a replacement fee of $25 for your Husky Card. To get a replacement Husky Card, please contact the Husky Card Account & ID Center.

Other information

For a full explanation of the U-PASS as a student fee, see online Student Guide, "Tuition and Fees" and, the Memorandum of Understanding Regarding Implementation of a Universal Student U-PASS

Optional purchased student U-PASS

The following students are not eligible for a universal U-PASS: However, they may be able to purchase an optional U-PASS membership.

  • Non-Matriculated Distance Learning students
  • All Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) students who are ineligible for universal U-PASS should purchase a U-PASS through the PCE office
  • Students registering through the ACCESS Program
  • Students in the PCE English Language programs including ESL
  • UW Bothell and UW Tacoma students must purchase the optional U-PASS at their respective campuses

Find out more about purchasing an optional U-PASS membership for PCE, ESL, ACCESS, tuition-exempt and other students who do not pay SAF with their tuition.

Early Fall Start U-PASS

Students participating in the Early Fall Start program or an academic program that starts more than 12 days before Fall quarter start may purchase an Early Fall Start U-PASS or parking permit. If you are participating in the Early Fall Start program, you have been pre-approved to purchase an Early Start U-PASS or parking permit. Find out more.