Transportation Services staff are available to help you at gatehouses Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. until 9 p.m. and on Saturdays from 7 a.m. until noon.
Locked Space for Bicycles Terms & Conditions
The University of Washington (“Lessor”) hereby leases to the undersigned Lessee “locked space for bicycles” for one bicycle as designated below, on the following terms and conditions.
- “LOCKED SPACE FOR BICYCLES” RENTAL. Lessee shall use the “Locked Space for Bicycles” leased only for the storage of one bicycle at a time in a locked space that is shared by other bicycle users. The annual rate for access to this space is $40.00. Payment is on a fiscal year cycle (July 1 to June 30). Payment made at other times of the year will be prorated to match the fiscal year. Lessee agrees to lease the assigned “Locked Space for Bicycles” for the following period:
Annual Rate of $40.00 for July 1 through June 30.
- “LOCKED SPACE FOR BICYCLES” LEASE RENEWAL. Lessor will notify Lessee of expiration before this Lease expires and provide instructions for renewal. Payment must be received at least five (5) working days prior to the expiration of this Lease. If there is no response, the access code will be deleted.
- OBLIGATION TO KEEP CONTACT INFORMATION UPDATED. Lessee shall keep their contact information updated with the University. Faculty and staff update their contact information via Employee Self-Service or their payroll coordinator. Students update their contact information via MyUW at http://myuw.washington.edu or the Address Change Telephone Service (206-543-8580). Lessee shall submit descriptions and or registration numbers of any bicycle they store in the “Locked Space for Bicycles”. This information identifying the lessee’s bike(s) will be collected at the time the permit is issued, and it is the responsibility of the lessee to report to Transportation Services any subsequent changes or additions (i.e. the presence of a new bicycle in the space).
- REFUNDS. If Lessee wishes to terminate the Lease before the end of the annual lease term, the Lessee must notify Lessor. Lessor will refund Lessee on a prorated basis of the annual rental fee.
- WAIVER OF RESPONSIBILITY. It is mutually agreed that the Lessor is not and will not be held responsible for the safekeeping of Lessee’s bicycle and any property contained in the “Locked Space for Bicycles” assigned hereunder or for any injury or damage arising out of Lessee’s use of the “Locked Space for Bicycles” assigned. It is further agreed that Lessee will make such arrangements regarding insurance coverage for the bicycle as Lessee deems necessary to protect Lessee’s interests in the event of loss or damage. Lessee further agrees to defend and hold Lessor harmless from any injury or damages resulting from Lessee’s use of the “Locked Space for Bicycles.” The Lessor recommends use of one or more bicycle locks inside the “Locked Space for Bicycles” area.
- COMPLIANCE WITH LAWS AND REGULATIONS. Lessee agrees to comply with all laws, rules, regulations, and any special instructions that may be issued by Lessor or its agents concerning the “Locked Space for Bicycles”. Lessee will not maintain or store anything that may be dangerous to life, limb, or property or use the “Locked Space for Bicycles” in such a way as to create a nuisance or disturbance. Lessee agrees that Lessor or its agent may open and inspect Lessee’s “Locked Space for Bicycles” at any time, with or without notice to the Lessee, for the purpose of observing Lessee’s compliance with this agreement, or to determine whether any health or safety hazard exists.
- CONDITIONS OF USE. Lessee shall not reassign or transfer this Lease or any interest therein. Lessee’s use of the “Locked Space for Bicycles” is conditional upon (1) the Lessee’s being a current student, faculty, or staff member and (2) the Lessee not intentionally causing loss or damage to University of Washington property or the property of other Lessees with access to the same “Locked Space for Bicycles” area.
- LONG TERM STORAGE PROHIBITED. The “Locked Space for Bicycles” is provided to facilitate commute-related or campus mobility-related storage of human-powered vehicles. Lessee agrees that their use of the “Locked Space for Bicycles” is related to these purposes, and that any bike they choose to store in the cage will be regularly used. Bikes observed to be left for at least one month without moving will be tagged as potentially abandoned, and will be removed from the cage and impounded if the tag remains in place after two weeks. Per WAC 478-116-605, impounded bicycles will be stored at the university police department. Bicycles will be released at specified times and upon presentation of proof of ownership and payment of a ten-dollar fine. Bicycles unclaimed after sixty consecutive days will be subject to sale at a public auction conducted by the university surplus property department.
- LEASE EXPIRATION/TERMINATION. If the lease expires and Lessee does not renew, or if conditions of Lessee’s use of the “Locked Space for Bicycles” (Item 7) are not met, this Lease shall automatically terminate and Lessee shall forfeit use of the locked space. This Lease may also be terminated by Lessor for the breach of any of the items and conditions herein. In the event of expiration or termination of the Lease, Lessor will take possession of any contents remaining within the “Locked Space for Bicycles.” Per WAC 478-116-605, impounded bicycles will be stored at the university police department. Bicycles will be released at specified times and upon presentation of proof of ownership and payment of a ten-dollar fine. Bicycles unclaimed after sixty consecutive days will be subject to sale at a public auction conducted by the university surplus property department. Unclaimed property will be tagged as abandoned after one month and impounded in accordance with WAC 478-116-605.
The remedies provided herein are in addition to, and are not in lieu of, any other rights which Lessor may have against Lessee. In the event Lessor is required to bring any action or proceeding for the enforcement of the Lease or the collection of any sums which may be due and payable by Lessee to Lessor, Lessee agrees to pay Lessor, in addition to any balance due, Lessor’s expenses and reasonable attorney’s fees.
- ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This constitutes the entire agreement between the parties. No modification or amendments of this agreement shall be valid unless in writing and signed by both parties.
- I hereby acknowledge receipt of the code for the above “Locked Space for Bicycles.” I understand that the code remains the property of the University of Washington. I agree not to release the code information to unauthorized persons or use it in a manner other than that for which it was issued.
- I take full responsibility for not sharing the code during the time it is assigned to me.
- I will notify Commuter Services immediately upon termination of my current status as an employee or student of the University of Washington or upon termination of the lease, whichever occurs first.