Driver safety and awareness training
Before driving a UW-owned vehicle, authorized drivers are required to take either the web-based or classroom version of the Driver Safety and Awareness training course as well as review and acknowledge applicable policies. The course must be refreshed every two years to stay current and qualified to drive UW-owned vehicles.
It takes up to 72 hours after your first day of employment/enrollment to be eligible for training.
The link to the course below allows users to take the course, view completion data, and print certificates using their NetID and password for access. If you have any questions or concerns about this training, please contact the Facilities Training Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-685-9452.
UW driving safety policies and guidance
- Washington’s enterprise-wide transportation policy
- Authorized drivers and passengers
- Restraint and seatbelt use
- Insurance coverage
- Vehicle accident reporting
- Specified drivers
- CDL drug and alcohol testing
Driver safety resources
Fleet Services provides guidance regarding safe driving practices and resources to drivers and departments that reinforce driving safety:
- Washington State driver guide - WA Department of Licensing
- Aggressive driving and road rage tips - WA State Patrol
- Washington State pedestrian laws - WSDOT
- Seatbelt and occupant protection advice - WA Traffic Safety Commission
- Weather advisory and pass conditions - WSDOT
- Rest area information - WSDOT
- Summer driving tps - NHTSA
- Winter driving resources - WA State Patrol
- Winter driving tips - Auto Insurance Center
- Driving drowsy - Countingsheep
- Washington State load securing laws - WA DOE
- UW cargo vehicle backing and liftgate safety video - UW Facilities
- Cargo box truck backing video - Pro-Tread, Inc.