UW has contracted with CEI Group to manage accident reporting services. Post-accident instructions and a UW insurance liability card is located in the glove box of all University vehicles.

You’re not required to fill out a hand-written CEI Accident Report form. However, a blank form is available to use in the glove box of all University vehicles to help remind drivers what information they will need to give CEI when they report a vehicle accident.

In case of a motor vehicle accident involving possible injury to any person, possible damage to another vehicle or damage to any UW or non-UW property:

  1. Stop immediately and take required precautions to prevent further collisions, damage or injury.
  2. If there is a possible injury to you or others, call 911 immediately.
  3. If your vehicle is in the roadway, move as far out of traffic as possible if it is safe to do so.
  4. Contact police by calling 911. This is a UW policy requirement for all vehicle accidents, except when a University vehicle is the only property that is damaged, there are no possible injuries and no traffic rules or laws broken.
  5. Do not admit fault, accept settlements or offer settlements at the accident scene.
  6. Do not discuss the accident with anyone except UW Risk Services, other interested UW officers or emergency response personnel (police, fire and medical).
  7. Contact the Fleet Services shop at (206) 685-1564 to report that the vehicle is damaged or disabled. Once you have contacted Fleet Services - or if you are unable to get through for any reason, move onto the next step. However, the Fleet Services shop must be contacted so they can assess damage, coordinate towing and coordinate repairs to the vehicle.
  8. Contact CEI at (877) 443-5777 to report the accident within 48 business hours of the accident. Be ready to provide license, insurance, license plate and other information for all drivers, involved vehicles and other involved parties when you call. Identify yourself as a UW driver and answer all questions CEI asks to the best of your ability.
  9. Ensure you notify your supervisor of the accident as soon as possible.
  10. If a vehicle accident may have damaged non-UW property (including vehicles) or injured anyone, ensure UW Risk Services is contacted immediately at (206) 543-0183 or claims@uw.edu.
  11. If a vehicle accident may have injured anyone, ensure an online accident (OARS) report is completed. If you need assistance, contact UW EH&S at (206) 543-7262 or injury@uw.edu.
  12. If the vehicle is towed, all efforts to replace it will be made but there is no guarantee of vehicle availability. For assistance with rental coordination contact the Fleet Services rental office at (206) 221-3594 or fsrent@uw.edu.
  13. Remember, your safety and the safety of others is the most important responsibility you have as a driver. If you need help, call 911.

    If you are unsure what to do or need help with accident reporting, contact Fleet Services Safety at (206) 221-6838 or tssafety@uw.edu, during business hours. For after-hours assistance, rely on 911 services to get you the help you need and contact Fleet Services on the next business day.